The Senator’s Legacy on Multiculturalism
Maiden Speech Focused on Multiculturalism
“An early and indefatigable champion of Canadian multiculturalism, Senator Paul Yuzyk of Manitoba, devoted his 1964 maiden speech in the Senate on the subject, saying in part: ‘The Indians and Eskimos have been with us throughout our history; the British group is multicultural – English, Scots, Irish, Welsh; and with the settling of other ethnic groups, which now make up almost one-third of the population, Canada has become multicultural in fact … In keeping with the ideals of democracy and the spirit of Confederation, Canada should accept and guarantee the principle of the partnership of all peoples who have contributed to her development and progress.”( “Multiculturalism .. being Canadian” Multiculturalism and Citizenship Canada, 1987)
©Minister of Supply and Services Canada
1987 revised 1989.
Catalogue No. Ci 96-35/1987
As part of the Canada 150 celebrations in 2017, the Yuzyk family produced a commemorative booklet called Father of Multiculturalism to recognize Paul’s pioneering legacy in defining and promoting multiculturalism, and in advocating for official government recognition of multiculturalism as Canada’s cultural identity. This booklet contains a copy of Paul’s Maiden Speech and a key chapter from an unpublished biography, called Champion for Multiculturalism, written by historians Dr. R.B. Fleming and Dr. S. Cipko. Download the booklet by clicking here.
Canada 150 and Other Links
- Canada 150: The Evolution of Multiculturalism by Joanna Smith. (Canadian Press, June 27, 2017)
- Sen. Paul Yuzyk Imagined Multiculturalism as Canada’s Contribution to the world by Joanna Smith. (National Post, June 27, 2017)
- Senator Paul Yuzyk – A Vision of Diversity Celebrated by Luba Fedorkiw. (Ukrainian Voice, August 14, 2017)
- Our Deeply Cultural Gift to Canada on her 150th by Fr. Peter Galadza, PH.D. (Nasha Doroha, spring 2017)
- Ukrainian Input into Canada’s 150-Year History by UCWLC National Executive. (Nasha Doroha, winter 2016)
- Canada’s Multiculturalism is our Identity by Erna Paris. (Globe and Mail, April 27, 2018)
- Interview with MP Arif Virani by Yuri Bilinsky. (New Pathway, 2018)